Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Addi's Diner

Anyone driving into Springfield from Glenwood/Eugene invariably passes by the place just before they reach the Springfield bus station.

Addi's Diner stands as a tiny white and red throwback to a Coca-cola era with tin signs and Elvis records plastered to the walls. Though everything on the tables and walls had to be decades old, the place was immaculately clean and the staff seemed very nice.

Menu- really not many option. Classic combinations or mix and matches of eggs, bacon, sausage, steak, etc. I had read a blog prior to visiting that said that the hotcakes are the things to get. You can sub out your potatoes and toast that come with your meal for one if you'd prefer. Trust me, there is no way that the potatoes and toast could be half as filling as the singular hotcake (sold by itself for $3.25). I used to be a big guy with an exceptionally healthy appetite. If someone stuck a gun to my head, I could probably pound down 2 McD's value meals in a sitting... I got about 1/3rd of the way through the hotcake and hit "the wall." Aside from being giant, the hotcake is perfectly cooked- thick but not pasty or doughy, with nice crispy edges/crust that provides the perfect contrast to its delicately fluffy interior. The cake comes with a nice chunk of butter and half a Snapple bottle full (literally) of syrup.

I ordered the eggs and diced bacon and then subbed out the rest of the meal for the hotcake. The eggs and bacon were fairly unremarkable - I am guessing the cook just fixed the bacon and eggs together and then chopped them up on the griddle. Eggs ended up really dry and the bacon pieces were cooked but not crispy.

The hotcake, however, completely lived up to its expectations. I made the mistake of trying to spread the syrup and butter over the whole cake. Next time, I think it is just going to just eat a giant chunk out of the center and make a well right in the middle of the plate for dipping each bite. The problem with spreading the syrup out initially is that it over-soaks into the cake and makes it mushy.

By the time I threw in the towel, I made it about 1/2- 2/3rds of the way through one, but hard to tell since I had haphazardly eaten from the outer edge in. Whole bill came to $6.50.

I think there is probably no better deal from Wednesday to Sundays (open at 7 am) for breakfast than a hotcake at Addi's Diner for $3.25. I don't think the small portion of eggs and bacon they bring out alongside the meal is worth the extra $3.25 for the breakfast plate itself, but the hotcake alone has to be one of the best deals (quality/value for price) in Springfield.







No comments:

Post a Comment