Monday, March 23, 2015

Souvide Cooking Again!

I picked up some nicely priced tri-tip from SF Market and decided to give it a go with my Souvide Supreme (SS). I chopped the tri-tip into two roughly equal portions so they fit in 1-Quart vacuum bags. I made a marinate – sesame oil, cilantro, green onion, garlic, ginger, shoaxing rice wine, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sugar. My goal was a ginger scallion marinade that was pretty thick and chunky. I blended everything up in the food processor, tasted it, and it turned out great! Dumped about 1/3rd in each back and sealed them up in my foodsaver, reserving the last third for drizzling later. 


Unfortunately my foodsaver is having difficulty sealing well when there are wet ingredients (even under gentle setting). After about an hour, I took one of the bags out, popped it open, and transferred the tri-tip to another back with some extra whole green onions and ginger slices. Most of the chunky aspects of the marinade were still clinging to the meat and so I was hoping it would seal this time. Wishful thinking… It sealed with 2 small opening. So I stuck the 85% sealed bag in another bag, and tried again. This time it finally managed to seal all the way, despite still pulling some of the moisture from the inner bag. Now my test batch was ready to go, in the SS it went. 

Unfortunately after testing the water with my Thermapen, the water was about 5 degrees lower than the setting once it finished heating up. So I cranked it up 140 degrees and tested again. A perfect 135.   

The game plan is to cook it for about 2 hours before I take it out of the bag. It ended up being about 2 and 2 1/2 hours.

Looked OK. Took it out of the bag (had an amazing smell of garlic and ginger). 


Next step was to caramelize the meat under the broiler and then let it rest for a while. 


End result- came out to be a solid medium. The meat itself was tender, not as flavorful as I would have liked, but for marinating for only 1 hr, it was great.


No comments:

Post a Comment