Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sous Vide Experiment!

I got to try out Sous Vide style cooking and had amazing results!!!

My Setup:
- Cheap Turkey Fry/Candy Thermometer from Bed, Bath and Beyond
- Mario Batali porcelain coated cast iron (best pot I have ever used and owned)



I put trimed chicken breasts (seasoned with salt, pepper, dried thyme) with a few slices of fresh lemon, sprigs of rosmary, and a couple smashed garlic cloves. 

I sealed the above ingredients in a food saver bag using a vacuum sealer I picked up from craigslist for $40 

Unfortunately didn't snap any pictures of the actual cooking. I tried to keep it between 160F and 170F. I cooked it for approximately 40 minutes just to be safe (well exceeding food safety pasteurization standards for raw chicken) 

End result: 


Forgot to snap some pictures of it out of the bag.

Toasted up some Lavash to go with it (a little olive oil and under the broiler for a min or two). Made it almost cracker-matzo like texture without the mealy grittiness. 



Verdict: Absolutely Delicious (My roommate said it was the best and juiciest chicken he has ever eaten).. I wouldn't quite go that far, but for being super healthy, it was exceptionally tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment