Sunday, May 22, 2011

Chanterelles and finishing moving

I decided to cook up the chanterelles I picked up at the farmers market and give them a try. I think sitting in my backpack and on my counter for a while before being placed into my fridge caused their quality to deteriorate a bit. At least 1/4 of what I purchased had to be tossed because they were slimy/dark and withered. I had to clean the remaining mushrooms under water with a vegetable brush. I sauteed them in some duck fat and tossed in a little dried rosemary. Once they gained a little color, I mixed up a few eggs and added them into a pan. I let the pan cook on the stove top to set the bottom layer of the egg, and finished it in the oven under the broiler.

My main goal was to simply isolate the chanterelle's to have a better idea what they taste like. The chanterelles had an interesting flavor, somewhat fruity but also a little woodsy. They were very aromatic when cooking, but their flavor was a little muted. Unfortunately I didn't re-dry them after cleaning, so they ended up having a somewhat mushy texture. In general, they are an extremely delicate mushroom, and I could see them working well in lighter dishes. While they tasted fine, all the necessary prep work to clean them was a little tedious, and I doubt I will be using them much in the future. When using mushrooms, I like them to impart both a textural contrast within the dish and either a meaty or earthy flavor. My standard "go-to" shroom is a shiitake.

Hopefully I can finish moving over all of my remaining stuff today to the apartment. The move has been probably the best thing to happen to me in the last couple of months. Aside from cooking and blogging again, I am not eating junk anymore and back to exercising regulating. Hopefully I can maintain this momentum through the summer so I will be in a much better place for the start of next year. 

Brunch 
- Double Cafe Mam espresso with vanilla almond milk 
- 2 Duck egg scramble with rosemary and chanterelles

Update:
Was able to finish moving. After a quick trip to Fred Meyer, I dropped by Kings Market and picked up some shanghai bok choy. I seared seared off the chicken thighs that had been marinated over night. After the thighs were cooked, I added the bok choy to the pot and let them cook in chicken's drippings.





Dinner:
- 1 chicken thigh
- bok choy 

No comments:

Post a Comment